Guide for New Businesses

Obtain a City Business Tax Certificate

A City Business Tax Certificate may be obtained at City Hall, 130 Avram Avenue, between the hours of 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. 585-6725. To apply for a business tax certificate, you will need to fill out a Business Tax Certificate application. To determine the appropriate fee, please see the rate sheet. To determine if you are a professional classification, see listing. All fees are due upon receipt of the application. The business tax certificate will be issued upon approval and mailed to you within three weeks.

If you are a contractor, you have the option of obtaining an annual or half-year license or a one-job only license. Please view the application and fees for a one-time job only license. If you are going to have any subcontractors also working on this job, you will need to fill out the List of Sub-Contractors.

Business Tax Certificate

The following will need Business Tax Certificates:

Rohnert Park

  • If you have a home occupation business and your home is in Rohnert Park.
  • If your business is based in Rohnert Park.
  • If you have a branch office in Rohnert Park.
  • If you are a salesperson who does business in town.
  • If you have service personnel that come into town, for example, carpet cleaners or pest control, etc.
  • If you have a rental property.

For all other Cities:

  • For the above categories, remember that you will need to obtain a license for each city you enter to conduct business.
  • Not all cities require a license for rental property, please check with the individual cities involved.

Use permits, if necessary (please check if you run a day care with several children, do auto repair or similar work, or are involved in food preparation), may be obtained at the Planning Department, City Hall, 130 Avram Avenue or phone 588-2236.

Businesses, except home occupation, are subject to a fire inspection and building inspection. Please contact the Public Safety Department, 500 City Hall Drive at 584-2600 to schedule a fire inspection. Please contact the Building Department at 130 Avram Avenue at 588-2239. Building and Fire department fees can be found and listed on the Business Tax Certificate Application.


If your business intends to sell alcohol beverages contact:

Alcohol Beverage Control
50 D Street, Rm 400
Santa Rosa

For health inspections, contact:

Health Department
1030 Center Drive, Ste A
Santa Rosa 

A Guide to Starting your Business in Sonoma County